History

Clarence Bowling Club was founded in 1907, followed in 1926 by Clarence Ladies’ Bowling Club. In 1965, Wessex Ladies’ Bowling Club was formed, sharing our facilities. In 2002, following a generous legacy from former club-member Les Andrews – and a great deal of hard work by our members – the Les Andrews pavilion was opened by David Bryant MBE and this provides us with one of the best clubhouse facilities in the country.

In 2017, Clarence Ladies joined Clarence Men to form a mixed club – whilst Wessex Ladies voted to remain independent at this point in time. The clubs continue to work harmoniously together and the Clarence Park Bowling Association looks after our outside spaces – very ably supported by Avon Sportsground Maintainance who, under the supervision of our Greens Manager, maintain our three greens to a very high standard.

In 2018 we look forward to hosting the UK Disability Bowls Home Nations Championships in addition to the annual Weston-super-Mare Visually Impaired Open Singles tournament – run by the Lions club of Weston-super-Mare.

In 2019 we will be honoured to host the Visually Impaired Bowls England National Championships.

Clarence BC plays in the Men’s Somerset County League and the Men’s Over 60s Triples League and the Ladies compete in county club competitions and local Ladies’ Leagues. We also host numerous Tourists and day-visitors’ fixtures, so there is always plenty going on. Spectators are always welcome at our home games.